Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Correct Time

Even a broken clock is right twice a day . . .

The Correct Time, early incarnation

When Gary Indiana told this joke at a gallery talk in the late 1980s, referring to President Reagan, I experienced a startling revelation -- If I gather one broken clock for every minute in 12 hours.... I'll have all the time in the world!

...And it will always be the correct time, somewhere.

In 1989, I collected 720 broken clocks and watches, donated by people from around the world. Clubs, travellers, school groups sent me cuckoo clocks, alarm clocks, wrist watches, even a clock made from popsicle sticks! They were all installed at Gallery 2 of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, with a list of all the donors. Now, what am I going to do with all this free time?

No comments:

Post a Comment